1.03.2009

The link between pesticides and anxiety/depression

I have been doing a lot of research over the past few days, trying to find out what other routes I could take to lessen my daily anxieties: seeing another psychotherapist, seeing a Naturopathic Doctor, hypnosis, acupuncture...a myriad of things. I wanted to check out everything and anything that could help me. Then I stumbled upon one therapist in Toronto that usually asks her anxiety/depression clients about their diet...to which she recommends they try a diet full of organic foods and in short periods of time they start to feel a lot better. So I continued on this path and found out that there have been links between pesticides (used in normal grocery store produce, for example) and anxiety/depression.

I've never been much of a sugar person, but sugar has also been linked to depression for years. I basically continues researching organic foods and anxiety and I'm wondering if that would help me. Although organic food here is very expensive, which is probably why I've never tried it. Have you ever eaten organic food and found that it helps you with your mood disorder? Basically, through my research I've been warned of pesticides used in produce, and to stay away from sugar, caffeine, products made of white flour, not to eat pork or margerine or drink cow's milk...it became such a long list of things I shouldn't consume that I got really frustrated. I'm not shy when it comes to trying new things (organic food, for example), I simply wanted to know if it would really be beneficial for me or just a waste of money?

I found this information to be very interesting, and I want to know if you have tried any of the things I mentioned looking up when I was conducting my research. Please leave me a comment about which one it was and how the experience is/was for you. I am seriously considering seeing a Naturopathic Doctor at least to see what they say (plus it's covered by my husband's insurance plan). I'd like to hear your story. :)

6 comments:

gdhbfdagbdaf said...

Hi, I'm your newest fan.
I've added a link to your blog in my social anxiety blog, which I'm hoping you'll have the time to check out some time. So far there are only a couple of entries, all revolving around a recent toilet break of mine. Don't let that scare you, as I am mostly harmless (if not completely sane).

P.S. I'm getting curious about that organic food now. I haven't noticed any mood changes from what kind of food I eat, but I'll keep an eye out for any changes and tell you if anything interesting happens.

Robert said...

If you can see a Naturopathic Doctor at no cost, why not go?

There have been many links between perticides and fertilisers and mental health problems, so staying away from them would seem like a worthwhile precaution.

Also, the link between diet and mental health has been often shown, so a good dietry regimen would be a good idea.

However, there is no conclusive proof that organic foods are any better for you (or tase any better) than non-organic foods. So, if your finances are a factor, I should try everything else first.

One thing you should be aware of though, the fresher your food is, the better it is for you. And another (more commonly known) unprocessed food is much better than processed. An a third - most people don't drink enough (water). Drink LOTS! It washes away impurities so helping not only your body, but also your complexion ask any model!).

Best wishes.

Doug said...

I imagine it can't hurt, as long as you don't get obsessive about it. The problem with "organic" foods is that you never really know what that really means. We live on a dirty earth, and everything is grown in the same polluted air and with tainted water. Maybe some products are "purer" and "cleaner" than others, though (I suppose I'd rather have lettuce grown in mid-America than New York City!). Keep us updated on your journey! Avoiding caffeine makes a lot of sense to me. http://iamlivingwithanxiety.blogspot.com/

Ellen said...

I've drastically cut back on caffeine and that's helped me quite a bit. Caffeine was making me more tired than I already was.

A couple of months ago I got The Mood Cure from the library (Julia Ross). She discusses a diet for depression / anxiety that's helped me quite a bit. She also discusses supplements for energy / stress that are great.

By all means, I'd see a Naturopath if you've got coverage. I also did this a few years ago and still follow some of her recommendations.

I basically try everything :-)
But this stuff makes a big difference.

Ellen

Unknown said...

Hi,,,
Nice post i agree with this satatement, "There have been many links between perticides and fertilisers and mental health problems, so staying away from them would seem like a worthwhile precaution".

Unknown said...

hi,,,
I agree that there have been many links between perticides and fertilisers and mental health problems, so staying away from them would seem like a worthwhile precaution.