2.02.2009

Depression may be linked to migraines

I saw this interesting article on a Global TV website today about the connection between migraines and mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety. Check out the article. It's really interesting. Upon reflection, before I was diagnosed with social anxiety in 2004 I had a migraine (my first ever) that lasted for two weeks straight. I'm amazed that this revelation has only come to light now.

35% of people who suffered migraines also suffered from a mental disorder,
ranging from depression and anxiety to phobias and substance abuse

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. I've had a few migraine attacks in the past, but they disappeared altogether somewhere around 2004. This was around the same time I realized I had social anxiety and started therapy.

However, I have never experienced depression. It'll be interesting to see whether the migraine returns if I do.

Robert said...

Migraine is commonly linked to stresss, and stress can quite often lead to mental health problems. So it seems quite a logical link.

Dave B. said...

Very interesting indeed. I suffer from migraines, although not of the debilitating variety. I find mine are usually brought on by weather changes. I also suffer from anxiety and depression. Maybe it's all tied together somehow.

Unknown said...

I tend to get a migraine after a period of bad anxiety...it's almost funny how little we know about the brain.

Doug said...

I bet there's a connection with GI disorders too.