2.28.2009

Feeling pretty good these days

I know I've been sporadically blogging, mostly because I've been concentrating all my efforts in getting our work blog off the ground, but I'm still here and will be posting as often as I have time to.

So I've been feeling pretty good the last while and saw my psychiatrist again yesterday. We talked about the fact that I have this phobia of throwing up (emetophobia), especially in front of people, and especially in public. I had been thinking about it and wondered if that was causing my anxiety rather than my anxiety causing me to feel nauseated which in turn causes this phobia. Does that make sense?

Anyways, he told me that it's possible, but he also feels that certain things I've told him, whether related to emetophobia or not, are still attributes of someone who is socially anxious. Either way I don't want to be medicated forever and he told me that he doesn't think I will be, so I asked what he thought of lowering my dosage of Gabapentin, at least for the meantime to see how I would be with less. We started at 900mg/day so I've never been at a lower dose. I wanted to see how I'm able to cope without thinking my medication is a crutch, so to speak.

He had no problem with that, so as of yesterday I have been taking 600mg. I've been feeling quite a bit better on a daily basis so I figured maybe now was the time to start getting off my meds and learning to cope on my own. As my psychiatrist said, the meds have given me a jumping board and now hopefully I will be able to take a little control on my own. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. Please keep me in your prayers. xo

4 comments:

Abnormal Shy Woman said...

hi, i haven't puked for 9 years, is it possible that i have emetophobia? well it's not that i'm afraid, well i am if i did...but i don't really have to throw up, idk.

Unknown said...

I hope you remain in good spirits while off the meds and everything goes smoothly..

I'm not at that point yet and still need my 4mg of klonopin a day or I get extremely anxious.

Robert said...

Well done you! I LOVE happy, optimistic posts, so you've brightened up my day.

Anonymous said...

Keep on keeping on. I'm glad to hear you are doing well slowing down on your med. I'm also slowing down on mine, so I can try a different one in about another week. It's a little rough going right now, but I'm hanging in there.

Take care,

Faith H.