2.29.2008

Career Contemplation

I'm not sure if I'm actually ready to return to the workforce, but I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I think I should do, or where I feel that I should work. I've sort of come to the conclusion that aside from an environment that is not super stressful, location will play a big part in my decision. I know that I shouldn't let my anxiety control where I should work, but realistically, I have to think about the fact that my anxiety has relapsed in the past, and I know moving towards the future that I can't just stop working every time that happens. So, keeping that in mind, I know that it is important for me to find employment close to home (in walking distance, if possible).

With that said, I have recently applied to two administration jobs and one media job. I have not heard back from any of them yet, but I figure that at this stage, since I'm not certain I'm ready to go back to work now, I can allo myself to be selective in the jobs I apply for. My therapist, at our last session, suggested that while I am contemplating my next career move I should create a list of all the criteria I can think of that would make up my dream job. It could be as far out there as possible, and as materialistic or silly as I can think of, but what would make up my perfect job.

I know you're probably thinking, "What the heck is the point?" However, my therapist had a good point in making this suggestion. She said that if I visualize everything I want in a job, then I have a more clear idea in my head of what I'm looking for when I'm searching. Now I know that it is unlikely that I will get everything on my list, but having a wish list on paper may make it easier for me to narrow down all the thoughts dancing in my head about potential career choices.

3 comments:

Robert said...

Hi there!

I've read all your blog, and I'll be back for more.

Many years ago, I read a self-help book which introduced me to identifying and visualising my hopes, wants and ambitions. I followed the instructions and...it changed my whole life! I achieved all my goals in a remarkably short time. I can't recommend your therapists approach enough. I'm proof that it works.

Best wishes.

cosi said...

I can identify with the need to take ajob that does reflect where you are in your life, and waht you need to remain healthy. a couple of years ago i took on a stressful managment role. I was well at the time and ready for a challenge. It wasn't dreadful, but I felt my anxiety symptoms coming back, so before they became out of hand I decided to resign and take on a less stressful position. It was a good decision. i have come to terms with the fact that stress and me just don't go together!

LJ said...

the part about visualization is so true. the key is to think about how u feel when you're thinking about what you want in a job. get excited about it, but don't worry about "how would that ever work".. don't worry about the details. just let yourself get excited.. positive feelings attract positive things.. it sounds cheesy but it's true! good luck :)